We are glad to inform you that we released the new version of HierCube VCL. It has many improvements including the support of 64-bit Windows platform. Here is the list of changes:
What's new in HierCube VCL version 5.00:
- 64-bit Windows Platform support. All run-time code can now be compiled and run under WIN64 platform. The distributive packages for RAD Studio XE2 and XE3 now contain the folder named lib64 with the run-time 64-bit modules in it. So when compiling a 64-bit application with HierCube this folder must be included in the IDE Library Path;
- Improved the support of the UnicodeString type introduced in RAD Studio 2009. Preparation for move to UnicodeString for the whole library;
- HierCube will no longer support Delphi 5 – Delphi 6, and Delphi 9 - BDS 2006. Though all components are working just fine with all platforms starting from Delphi 7, the testing and compiling will only be done for Delphi 7, RAD Studio 2007 and newer. The distributive package now only contains the modules compiled for Delphi 7, RAD Studio 2007 – XE3;
- Improved the binary format of the streams which is used to save and restore the data of the cube and the grid. The streams of the old format can be perfectly read and restored but all writings are done in the new format;
- The compression/decompression of the files is temporary disabled when working under WIN64. This is related with the limitations when porting the old code to WIN64 platform. As a result it is important to take into account that the compressed streams written by a 32-bit application cannot be read by a 64-bit application. To avoid this limitation you can save data in the uncompressed format which is perfectly readable and writable under any platform. For 32-bit applications there is not such a limitation, so the compressed files can be written and read just as always without any changes;
- The structure of the packages has changed. This is done to fully segregate the run-time and design-time parts of HierCube from each other, because it seems to be a requirement of packages compiled under WIN64. The new structure of the packages and also the installing features are described in the article "How to install the components of HierCube VCL manually";
- Help file is updated.
- TxhMemoDataSet components doesn't work correctly under RAD Studio XE3. This is related to the changes in the TDataSet component in Delphi XE3;
- The method THierCube.LoadFromStream produces the error when reading the file created by the method THierCubeGrid.SaveToStream;
- Variety of the small bugs that can occur on the platforms since RAD Studio 2009, and that are mostly related to the incorrect string handling in the UNICODE mode.
- New compression method that can work on both WIN32 and WIN64 platforms;
- Moving on to the UnicodeString type for the platforms started from RAD Studio 2009;
- Performance testing and optimization of the WIN64 code;
- A row of articles and examples devoted to different sides of HierCube;
- Extending the help system.